- Free shipping over $100
- Low stock - 10 items left
- Inventory on the way
Yerba mate is an herbal tea made from the leaves and twigs of the Ilex paraguariensis plant.
The leaves are typically dried over a fire, then steeped in hot water to make the tea.
Yerba mate is traditionally consumed from a container called a gourd and sipped with a metal straw that has a filter at its lower end to strain out the leaf fragments.
Sharing it from this traditional gourd is said to be a sign of friendship and bonding.
Yerba mate contains several beneficial plant nutrients, including:
- Xanthines: These compounds act as stimulants. They include caffeine and theobromine, which are also found in tea, coffee, and chocolate.
- Caffeoyl derivatives: These compounds are the main health-promoting antioxidants in the tea.
- Saponins: These bitter compounds have certain anti-inflammatory and cholesterol-lowering properties.
- Polyphenols: This is a large group of antioxidants, linked to a reduced risk of many diseases.
Interestingly, the antioxidant power of yerba mate tea seems to be slightly higher than that of green tea.
What’s more, yerba mate may contain seven out of nine essential amino acids, in addition to nearly every vitamin and mineral your body needs.
However, the tea contains very small amounts of these nutrients, so it’s unlikely to make a large contribution to your diet on its own.
The leaves of the mate tree contain 24 vitamins and minerals, 15 amino acids and abundant antioxidants. It is often said that yerba mate triumphs as the most balanced drink, offering both nutrition and an energy boost without the side effects associated with coffee (i.e., energy crashes, jitters and addiction). Cool!
Disclaimer: The information provided is general and should not be taken as medical advice. Neither Amazing1 or associated business entities guarantee the accuracy of the information. Please consult your doctor, especially if being used during pregnancy or before using. You are also encouraged to test the product to ensure that it meets your needs, before using for mass production.